Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Christian On Foot

It is December 24th and I know all of you woke up saying "Wow! I can't believe that its been a year since Daniel started his blog!" Well you were right. It was a year ago tonight that I created A Christian On Foot.
I got the inspiration for the name from a line in a book called The Robe. The comment comes from Emperor Tiberius regarding the new cult springing up who are known as the "Christians". He sees the potential for revolution in the radical and loving teaching that they are teaching, but he assumes they will eventually become like all men seeking and grabbing for power and position to make themselves secure. A Christian while he is still poor and on foot is powerful and has the chance to turn the world on its head, but when a Christian becomes prosperous enough to own a horse he will be just like any other man on horseback.
Well as we start another year of dialoguing about everything from music and movies to religion and politics, it is my goal to try to figure out how to view these things as a Christian on foot. I'd like to start this year of posts with my favorite verse of one of my top three christmas songs.

Truly He taught us to love one another His law is love, and His gospel is peace Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother And in His name all oppression shall cease Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we Let all within us praise His holy name Christ is the Lord, O praise His name forever His power and glory ever more proclaim

5 comments:

Heath Countryman said...

Merry Christmas, Daniel!

J.S. said...

what song is the verse from? it's very good. keep working on your questions for the... you know. i'm still ironing out mine. merry christmas, dan!

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow that book?
kevin peterson
Merry Christmas!

Daniel Coutz said...

Bombadil: The song is O Holy Night and I am working out some questions.

Kevin: you can definitely borrow that book It is one of my favorites.

Bennett said...

That's exactly what I thought that morning!